News and Announcements

Update from the Board of Directors

Posted by BCSSA Office at Apr 4, 2020 11:31AM PDT ( 0 Comments )
image

Update from our Board of Directors:

The BCCSA Board met on April 2 and discussed the upcoming season, including actions that we can initiate and what the season could look like.

The Board has committed to meet weekly so we can stay abreast of this constantly changing situation. We are waiting for information to come back to us but in the meantime we can tell you that we will not be holding a traditional competitive championship meet at UBC this year.

We will be distributing information to all clubs and coaches to help them make decisions about supporting our coaches this season.

We are also investigating and planning an online program of dry land activities that our athletes can take part in while we await permission to get back in the water.

We expect to receive the information we need to make some more decisions by mid week and will distribute a newsletter to all members at that time.

Yours in swimming,
Danny Schilds
President, BCSSA

image

To all BCSSA swimmers, parents, coaches, officials, and Board Members,

“It’s a Fluid Situation”

“This action is unprecedented.”

“We are in a marathon."

“Social Distancing.”

So many new phrases in our language that we just haven’t used to this extent before. And we have only been using them for just over a week.

As an organization and as individuals, we have to realize that the Covid-19 drama we are all part of is new to everyone, the situation is fluid, and it is evolving daily.

Just over a week ago the BCSSA Board made the decision to cancel the Coaching Conference. At that time, Tuesday, March 10th, groups of up to 150 were deemed ok by the health officials. Two days later, groups of less than 50 were recommended, then less than 20, and now, try not to be in any group at all. On the 10th there was no hint that borders would be closed, flights cancelled, every major sport cancelled and a litany of swimming meets, including the Canadian Olympic Trials, postponed.

My point is, we do not know what tomorrow will bring, what recommendations will come forward from Dr. Henry, when swimming pools will be opened or for that matter, when the border will be opened.

The current situation leaves us with some big questions.

  • Will the season open on May 1st?
  • Will we have a regular season?
  • Will there be a Provincial Championships this year?
  • What about our coaching staff if we are limited to small groups or no groups at all?

The short answer is, NO ONE knows.

The situation is changing so rapidly that only a fool would make predictions.
By the end of April, we know that we will be in a completely different situation than what we are in now, we just don’t know what that situation will look like.

The BCSSA Board is in communication with each other.

We are watching and waiting. And the waiting is the hard part. Waiting will be our hardest task but with reference to the season and our sport, it is what we have to do.

In the meantime, there are some things we can do:

  • Take care of yourself and your families, including your swim family.
  • We recommend that all clubs postpone their paid registrations until we are closer to May 1st.
  • A Board Member is talking to Active about their refund policy yet these talks are difficult with so many businesses now closed or on a work from home regimen but in the meantime, postpone any paid registrations.
  • Stay in communication with your City Recreation Dept but remember, they can’t predict what is going to happen.
  • Plan for the season but be aware, the season could be shortened, or modified.
  • The BCSSA Board of Directors will communicate any information we learn and will be giving decisions or recommendations in late April about the upcoming season.

Our swimming world is not alone in the trials we are facing. Our whole country, our whole world, is facing the same difficulties.

In the meantime, take care of yourself and your family.

Danny Schilds,
President, BC Summer Swimming Association
president@bcsummerswimming.com

_*Attached below is a copy of this letter that can be downloaded and printed for distribution.

Covid-19 Update

Posted by BCSSA Office at Mar 15, 2020 8:34PM PDT ( 0 Comments )
image

March 15, 2020

As the Covid-19 situation continues to evolve at a fast pace, BCSSA will continue to defer to direction provided by Health Canada, the BC Centre for Disease Control and local Health Authorities.

Aquatic facilities will assess and take appropriate course of action based on the latest recommendations from the Ministry of Health of limiting public gatherings to no more than 250 people and keeping distance between those in smaller group gatherings until further notice. It is upon each of us to take hygiene precautions similar to those taken during peak flu season including:

  • stay home if you or a member of your family is not feeling well or have flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough and/or shortness of breath
  • wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, or alcohol-based disposable hand wipes
  • avoid touching your face
  • cough and sneeze into your elbow, not your hands, and if using a tissue, throw it away immediately
  • keep your distance (1 to 2 metres) from others wherever possible, specifically those who are coughing or sneezing

At this time, there does not appear to be a need to limit or cancel the winter maintenance program assuming the above noted precautionary measures are taken and aquatic facilities have taken precautionary measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 at the facilities.

BCSSA will continue to monitor the situation and will be developing tools for our clubs and members as the move towards the start of our summer competition season.

Questions can be directed to office@bcsummerswimming.com

Covid-19 Update regarding Coaches Conference

Posted by BCSSA Office at Mar 12, 2020 8:50PM PDT ( 0 Comments )
image

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Due to concerns about the global spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) the BCSSA Board has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 BCSSA Coaches Conference. All those who have already registered will be issued full refunds as soon as possible.

Board President Danny Schilds commented today, “First and foremost is the safety of the community, the athletes and their families. We continue to monitor this rapidly changing situation and will be looking at alternative means of supporting coach education and development in BC.”

We will continue to monitor the Provincial Health Authorities for guidance on activities and events, and will provide updates here.

Please continue to check the BCSSA website at www.bcsummerswimming.com for news and communications on an ongoing basis.

If you have questions regarding this, please contact Penny at office@bcsummerswimming.com

For more information about the coronaviruses (COVID19), please visit the WHO website at https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Risk Management Tool available

Posted by BCSSA Office at Mar 11, 2020 6:06PM PDT ( 0 Comments )
image

BCSSA has released its Risk Management Tool to be used by clubs and event organizers to assess the risks associated with hosting large scale events.

The Tool is available under the Regions and Clubs menu

The document BCSSA-Risk_assessment_Tool_2020.xlsx was attached to this post.