BC's Restart Plan: Stage 1 details for Sport
BC’s Restart Plan: A plan to bring us back together
With the May 25 announcement by the Provincial Government, a new 4 stage Reopening Plan was outlined for British Columbians. ViaSport and BC Recreation and Parks Association hosted a webinar on June 1 that outlined some additional details and clarifications of this Reopening Plan as it applies to sport and recreation in this province.
For more information and details:
BC’s Reopening Plan: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
ViaSport Return to Sport webpage: https://www.viasport.ca/return-sport
ViaSport’s Reopening Plans-Frequently Asked Questions document: https://www.viasport.ca/sites/default/files/FAQ_Restart_06-01.pdf
Overview of the current Stage 1 guidelines for OUTDOOR sports:
• Practices and competition allowed for youth and adults within their home club*
• Physical distance not required on field of play (i.e. contact is allowed). Off field of play, physical distance of 2 m must be maintained.
• Travel allowed to home club only (and cannot cross travel zones)
• Maximum group size for adults and varsity sport is 50 (if group is a mix of youth and adult, 50 person maximum must be followed)
• No maximum group size for youth to allow for more flexibility (e.g. adult supervision)
• No spectators
Everything else remains the same.
*Home club—the sport organization, club or facility with, or at which, a person is registered for ongoing sport programming
Competition, games and tournaments can begin within your HOME club. You cannot travel to another club for a meet and therefore Swimmingly remains our best option for hosting of virtual meets. There remains limited information about how travel for competition will increase through the phases although the provincial travel ban is scheduled to be lifted in Stage 2 (June 15). For now, the direction is that competitions, games & tournaments should remain within your home club.
Club Safety Plans can and should be updated to reflect the new reopening guidelines.
The document Return_to_Sport_Restart_2.0_Chart_06-01.pdf was attached to this post.