The re-opening of pools in B.C....
We are all anxiously awaiting the re-opening of pools across B.C.
There is an official process underway in partnership with BC’s municipalities and cities, public and private facilities, the Lifesaving Society and Swim BC, as well as BCSSA. We support this official process which follows the BC Public Health Officer’s Guidelines and will best ensure the health and safety of our athletes, coaches, volunteers and officials.
There is a process for pool re-openings and this process has been underway for several weeks now.
We were recently made aware that an online petition is being circulated among aquatic groups and facilities requesting that indoor and outdoor public swimming pools be open. This petition may or may not include the BCSSA logo, which may seem like our organization is the source behind it.
Please be advised that BCSSA does NOT endorse nor support this recent petition. We respectfully ask all those associated with BCSSA in any way to please not endorses, forward or share this petition.
We are committed to the health and safety of our athletes, families and all community members and will only proceed with pool opening in a way that is consistent with BC Public Health Guidelines.
We must ensure that there are safe processes in place for:
- Protecting the employees at the facility with appropriate PPE, physical barriers, etc.
- Establishing human resource policies that are compliant with workplace health and safety regulations, and labour codes
- Establishing measures to avoid crowds gathering or long waiting times such as reservation systems
- Determining the ideal occupancy rate in change rooms to allow for physical distancing to maintained
- Establishing proper cleaning and disinfecting routines for common surfaces such as diving boards, water slides, hand railings, PFDs, sinks, toilets, etc.
- Ensuring employees are trained in first aid and lifesaving techniques and procedures in a Covid-19 world
- and more
Please rest assured that all of these are being considered and being planned for.
A safe return to sport is in the works with many areas hoping to have at least some of their outdoor facilities open for limited use before the summer is over.
I encourage you to view the documents shared in our last announcement regarding BC’s Return to Sport plan, if you wish to have more detailed information.